Practical tips, insights and articles to help you build the business, wealth, and lifestyle you want

Commonwealth Financial Assistance for Queensland Flood Victims

Article By | | Financial Planning, General News

Queenslanders in communities impacted by flooding disaster across the South East can apply for Commonwealth financial support from Monday 28 February.

The disastrous flooding across South East Queensland has harshly impacted communities throughout the regions of Brisbane, Ipswich, Moreton Bay, Somerset, Gold Coast, Logan, Redland, Scenic Rim, Gympie, and Cherbourg.

With the worst of the rain now over, risks still remain across South East Queensland, where floods have left eight dead and damaged more than 15,000 homes.

To help Queenslanders cope with the immediate financial effects of flood related damage The Morrison Government has activated the Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) of $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child to support those impacted by South East Queensland flooding beginning on 22 February.

This one-off payment is non-means tested and is available to eligible Queenslanders in flood affected local government areas who have suffered a significant loss, including a severely damaged or destroyed home or serious injury.

Eligibility for Adults will be tested as follows:

  • You’re an Australian resident or hold an eligible visa
  • You meet Local Government Area (LGA) requirements
  • You’re claiming this payment for the Queensland Floods, January 2022 for the first time.
  • You must be 16 or older at the time of the floods or getting a social security payment.

You or a dependent child you’re a principal carer for, must have been seriously affected by the floods. For example:

  • You were seriously injured
  • You’re the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing
  • The flood caused major damage to your home.

For couples or members of the same household, you can make separate claims and both receive the payment.

You cannot claim on behalf of a deceased person, or their estate.

For this payment the Queensland Government is using the following definitions:

Principal place of residence

Your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or licence to live. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties.

Major asset

A major asset is an asset or assets with a combined market value of $20,000 or more. For example, this can include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large scale machinery.

Principal carers of children

You’re a principal carer of a child if the child’s 15 or younger and dependent on you. That means you have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.

Major damage

Examples of major damage to your principal place of residence can include:

  • it’s been destroyed or must be demolished
  • it’s been declared structurally unsound
  • this disaster has caused major damage to the interior
  • this disaster has exposed the interior to the elements
  • sewage has gotten inside your home
  • this disaster has significantly damaged a major asset or assets you own at your property.

How to claim:

To claim all you need is a myGov account linked to Centrelink.

To find out how to do this follow this link.

After linking your Centrelink account you’ll need to include the extent and details of any damage that has occurred in your primary place of residence.

Follow these steps to make your claim:

  1. Sign in to myGov and select Centrelink in your linked services.
  2. Select Make a claim or view claim status.
  3. Select Make a claim.
  4. Scroll to Help in an emergency and select Get started.
  5. Select Apply for Disaster Recovery Payment.
  6. Select Begin.
  7. Answer the eligibility and claim questions.
  8. Submit your claim.

If you need help, you can call the Emergency information line.

This website is general in nature and does not take into account your personal circumstances, financial needs or objectives. Before acting on any information, you should consider the appropriateness of it and the relevant product having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs. In particular, you should seek the appropriate financial advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure.